We have found an English speaking playgroup in Orleans - whoop whoop! I saw a post on a website by a woman called Sydney who was moving to Orleans from Paris and wanted her children to continue to be exposed to the English language, so I emailled her to ask if she had found anything... It turns out she is living in the surburb Olivet where we first stayed in the gite and meets up every other Thursday in a community center in the city with other mums who want the same for their children.
We went for the first time whilst Katie was visiting - fantastic to have some moral support whilst ensuring we weren't meeting serial killers! The group has about eight members mostly women (as in the UK) and one man all in similar position to me that they are here for their husbands work or married to french men/women.
There are two French, three Americans, a Portuguese, Irish, Welsh, and now us - so it feels very European. I'm really struggling not to say "we only need a Scotsman for a joke". The children are all preschool age as they start school aged three here, alot seem to go to nursery for one or two mornings. The centre has lots of toys and space to run around in, including a few soft play items, plenty of baby dolls and two seesaws.
We are the only couple who neither speak French. I feel very lucky that I have found this to go to so soon, the Irish woman said she moved here the christmas before last and didn't speak English until the following September - that's 9 months! I think I would have gone a little crazy (crazier) by then or learnt some French!
No comments:
Post a Comment