After waiting all of last Tuesday for the Ikea delivery it arrives today (potential translation problem) James told me they that Ikea France are on strike at the moment, I love the delivery men even more for crossing the picket line just for me to have somewhere to sit.
Big van arrives with Meubles ('furniture' written on the side - this is promising) Door buzzer goes :-) and next few minutes go something like this....me " J'mappelle Madam Drewitt" man "canape" me "bonjour, deux canape, Je ouvert porte" with some pointing towards the doors that open out onto the carpark. Maybe I do need to learn some French? James seems to have learnt more than the basics already, in less than two months he can make himself understood when he needs to, he just needs the confidence to use it a bit more.
A woman then asked me to let her into the building at the same time! Like I needed that, I think she actually wanted to walk through my house! I said "Tu aller porte, Je buzzzzzz " she was confused but the delivery man talked to her in French and took her to the door, he probably has to deal with random foreigners like me all the time, I bet they were just glad that we didn't live on the top floor and they were able to go through the side door, good simple job. She walked away after a bit so I assume she got to do what she wanted.
Ikea = the most incredibly well packaged items I have ever seen in my life, worse than christmas with foil wrapping paper and sellotape on every seem. The sofa's are a soft demin looking fabric in a green, grey, brown colour. Lets hope there won't be too many "Oh Noo" (as Zoe would say) moments after a few too many glasses of the local vin.

No comments:
Post a Comment