Sunday, August 22, 2010

Roma

Why James had a conference in Rome so the opportunity to join him with Zoe and most of the expenses paid was too good to miss and its Roma baby!
My agenda To spend time catching up with my friend, eat Pizza, ice cream, throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain & sit on the Spanish Steps.
Cost My flights were 200 Euros and Zoe's 20 Euros (she slept on my lap) she was allowed hand luggage, a proper bag in the hold and her pushchair but no seat or sandwich.


Visiting Rome in July the hottest and busiest month with a toddler I have to admit is quite possibly madness, but we had a great time and I can safely say I have never sweated so much in my life, each time I drank a bottle of water I would sweat for ten minutes after then return to the permanently dehydrated state. There are plenty of free drinking water fountains scattered around the city often next to an ornamental fountain or busy public place. "Baby hot" became a familar phrase from Zoe and signalled a return to the rather posh hotel.

My husband and I love to eat out but we also like simple meals, when on holiday we love going to the local grocery store and there was a large one opposite our hotel which sold essential supplies such as nappies, wet wipes and batteries as well as a large selection of food. We ate out most evenings meeting up with my friend, at some lovely small restaurants we at outside at small tables on the pavement and sometimes literally at a table on the street. We late as the Italians do giving Zoe two light meals one at about 6pm and then another around 10pm, it was just to hot to eat earlier even a 10pm we were sat down still sweating. We sampled delights such as pizza, salads, pasta with various sauces, gnocchi, fresh biscotti and gelato.

I soon realised that travelling with a child meant compromising what I wanted to do and see, we avoided museums and used public transport which is cheap in Europe it costs one Euro per journey on both the buses and metro, although I love to walk alot on a city break finding statues and piazza's off the tourist line this was just not possible at 36oC! Rome is full things to see, Zoe was happy being pushed along looking at the many fountains, churches, statues, ancient remains of walls and colleums most of the time and for the rest the piazza's are away from the road and there are a few parks to run around in. We also returned to our hotel for the hottest part on the day, around 12 - 4pm for a picnic lunch and a siesta in the air conditioning.


I think a weekend in Rome is a must do, I didn't get an opportunity to throw a coin over my shoulder into the Trevi fountain, the myth that it brings the traveller who does so back to Rome but I would love to return. As I spent my 27th birthday there I have an idea to take Zoe for hers but next time I would go in Winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment